Project: Synthesis and High Pressure Study of Thermoelectric Materials, Superconducting Compounds, and Heavy Fermion Systems
Advisor: Dr. Ravhi Kumar
My three years of experience as an undergraduate research assistant within HiPSEC has allowed me the opportunity to learn a wide variety of synthesis techniques and experimental methods. My primary interests include the synthesis and study of superconducting compounds, which have lead to the completion of my senior project (which involved the synthesis and study of the Bi4O4S3 layered-sulfide superconductor) as well as the co-authoring of a publication in the Physica B peer-reviewed journal.
Over the course of my studies and work experience at HiPSEC I have performed measurements and analyzed data yielded from experimental techniques such as:
(high pressure) powder x-ray diffraction, magnetic susceptibility, 4-probe resistivity, and energy dispersive x-ray analysis. Additionally, my work has involved first-hand experience with various synthesis techniques including conventional argon-chamber arc-melting, solid state reactions and annealing via vacuum encapsulation, as well as high-pressure high temperature synthesis utilizing a Paris-Edinburgh Cell.
- funding: This research was sponsored by the National Nuclear Security Administration under the Stewardship Science Academic Alliance program through DOE Cooperative Agreement #DE-NA0001982.
- (no awards to note)
- High pressure powder x-ray diffraction – Sector 16 BM-D and ID-B at the Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Lab.
- EXAFS and XANES, x-ray absorption measurements – Sector 16 ID-D at the Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Lab.
- (no internship experiences to note)
- Collaborations: High Pressure Powder X-Ray Diffraction on Bi4O4S3 at Sector 16
ID-B, Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Lab with researchers Stas Sinogeiken & Jessie Smith.
- Mkrtcheyan, R. Kumar, J.Baker, A. Connolly, High Pressure Transport and Structural Studies on Nb3Ga Superconductor, Physica B Vol. 459 (2015) 21-23.
Professional schools & workshops:
Paris-Edinburgh Cell Workshop (2013) – Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory.
Senior project presentation (04/14) and poster submission in the (02/14) annual HiPSEC review on Synthesis and Study of the Bi4O4S3 Superconducting System.