Daniel MastUNLV Radiochemistry LLNL CMMD Intern, 2014 PhD Student, 2nd Year B.S. Chemistry B.A. Mathematics St. Martin’s University, 2013
Materials Under Extreme Conditions: Binary Technetium Systems
Extreme conditions of high pressure and high temperature can be used observe physical and chemical changes in structure, magnetism, superconductivity, and reactivity which means that we can access novel synthetics routes not available at ambient pressure. This project is focused on the behavior of technetium compounds in the kbar to Mbar pressure range and the 300K to 3000K temperature range. A combination of Diamond Anvil Cells (DACs) and laser-heating are used to create the extreme pressures and temperatures where we perform in situ single crystal and powder X-ray diffraction. DAC experiments at conducted at synchrotron sources across the country including the Advanced Photon Source, APS at Argonne National Laboratory, ANL and the Advanced Light Source, ALS at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, LBNL. This work is conducted in collaboration with the High Pressure Science and Engineering Center (HiPSEC) at UNLV and the High Pressure Physics Group at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
I have two current projects focused on technetium metal and the family of transition metal oxides including: technetium, rhenium, molybdenum, and tungsten. For the metal I am measuring the thermal equation of state up to a Mbar and the melting point. For the oxides we have observed multiple temperature and pressure induced phase transition and are working to define the phase diagrams for this collection of transition metal oxides.
Presentations, Publications and Awards
- High Pressure Investigation of Transition Metal Oxides, 2nd Joint Italian Crystallographic Association and Italian Synchrotron Radiation Society (AIC-SILS) Sept 15th-18th 2014 Florence, Italy
- Equation of State for Technetium by X-ray Diffraction and DFT, 52nd European High Pressure Research Group International al Meeting (EHPRG2014) Sept 5th – 12th, 2014 Lyon, France
- High Pressure Investigation of Transition Metal Oxides, LLNL Annual Summer Student Symposium August 14, 2014 Livermore, CA USA
- Equation of State for Technetium by X-ray Diffraction, Research at High Pressure, Gordon Research Conference/Seminar June 21st – 27th, 2014 Biddeford, ME USA
- Nuclear Energy University Program-Nuclear Engineering Fellow, Sept 2014 –Present Las Vegas, NV USA
- Malcolm F. Nicol Graduate Scholar, High Pressure Science and Engineering Center (HiPSEC), UNLV Sept 2013 – August 2014 Las Vegas, NV USA